Monday, May 2, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Post coming soon about the AMAZING TIME I had at the Texas Library Association Conference and all the new friends (aka authors who were kind enough to let me take a picture with them) I made. I'm constantly telling the kids what an amazing job I have and after the TLA conference they totally believe me. This time of year we have about 75 librarians in the making! 

For now I'd like to introduce you to a book that totally missed my notice last year. Thanks to Judy Freeman for telling me about it. 

19104829


Genre: realistic
AR level: 5.1
Grade appropriate: 4th and up (middle grade)

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- This book was fantastic. I was shocked when Judy Freeman told us she thought this book should have gotten Newbery attention. It was not on my radar at all. Therefore… I had to get my hands on a copy. I immediately ordered a copy and put one on hold at two local libraries. I read it as did my people (fellow teachers/readers). It was worth the hype. Fantastic!


Creativity: 5/5-- based on the art and life of James Hampton. Such a creative story! I love books that make me research the true story behind the story. Well done.

Characters: 5/5-- Arthur is hurting but real and very likable.

Engrossing: 5/5-- totally

Writing: 5/5

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- This might be a trick. We’ll see. I’ll start promoting it tomorrow.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: mild--damn (2)
Sexuality: none
Violence: mild-- Arthur throws a brick at a junk man because the junk man is wearing his dead father’s hat.
Drugs/Alcohol: mild-- discussion of the dead father’s drinking problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment