Monday, April 25, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




25667027

This story is so very disturbing. I keep going back and forth about whether it's ok as long as it's in the scary section or whether it's just too creepy to put in our library. I feel like if I'm waffling then it's probably too much. Might be ok for middle school.

And the cover is so far off on this book. No middle grader wanting a creepy book will pick this one up & some sweet 4th grade girls will be traumatized thinking they're getting a book about 2 friends.
**spoilers**

Genre: scary
AR level: 4.3
Grade appropriate: middle school

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 4/5-- I'm having a hard time rating this book. It hits all of the categories below very well but was so upsetting I am having difficulty giving a high rating. I don't mind scary books as long as they are not too real. This one, woah! I labeled this review as having spoilers but I will try not to give too much away.

Creativity: 5/5-- I did not figure out the twist, where the inn is, until the author revealed it. Total shock.

Characters: 5/5-- liked Quinn & Kara a lot. Very real & easy to relate to.

Engrossing: 5/5-- I HAD to finish this book. It was so upsetting but I needed to find out how it would end. I kept picking it back up.

Writing: 5/5-- I'm one who doesn't notice writing unless it gets in the way of the story. This one just pulled me in.

Appeal to kids: 2/5-- I don't know if this book would upset children as much as it did me. I feel like it would make children very anxious & give nightmares but I understand that the stage of life I'm in right now affects how I read books and this one made me afraid for my kids.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5-- short. Quick read

CONTENT:
Language: none

Sexuality: none

Violence: none (on the page)-- it's obvious by the end that someone abducted the main character's little sister & killed her. The 2 main characters spend the last 2/3 of the book running from a menacing man who's trying to find them.

Drugs/Alcohol: none-- one of the characters at the inn has had a drug problem and is told he's there to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment