Monday, December 23, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts



Merry Christmas everybody! Yes it is the holidays, but at my house that doesn't mean much down time... With a little one and a not-so-little one there's lots of claims on Mom's time. 

But my 10-year-old and I have started a habit of sitting together in our game room and reading for 30 minutes every night. The  hubby watches the 2-year-old and we just have some quality time to read together. It has really helped me knock some books off my reading list and it gives me a chance to talk with my big boy about what he's reading. 

And I actually read some NEWBERY winners this week. (Thank goodness I didn't set a time limit on myself. I'd be really stressing out at this point!) As you will see there is no rhyme or reason to the order in which I am reading them... I have no excuse. I read 'em as the mood strikes.
 

8735246
 This book is one of our Quest for the Crown books for this year. I am reading ALL of them and writing questions for our big competition. (I will post more about Quest at a later date.)

This book is a great one. I like the characters and fell in love with Zasha. Suspenseful and interesting, it's a winner. 
 ~~~~~
Newbery winner, 1967
65954
"Slowly" is right. I had a hard time finishing this book. When I got into it I really did enjoy it, but the beginning moves so slowly that I had a hard time getting past it. 

One of my favorite books growing up was Anne of Green Gables and this reminded me of it very much. I would have liked this book as a middle grades/high schooler better than as a grown up. I tend toward more action and excitement these days...
~~~~~

Newbery winner, 1979
902

This book, however, WAS one of my favorites in middle school and is still just as great today. I love the mystery and the puzzle. Clue was one of my favorite board games and I played it ad nauseum as a kid. (My poor parents.)  This reminds me so strongly of that game. I loved it this time through as much as the first time. (A little nostalgia never hurts either!)

No comments:

Post a Comment