Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Kindness

This year I felt like we needed to do something special for Christmas. Being at a Christian school I felt like we needed to make a big deal about Christmas. I didn't think that reading a Christmas book was enough. So we are doing

RACK banner

I got the idea from The First Grade Parade.

I read The Sparkle Box to K-3rd grade and The Christmas Candle to 4th & 5th. And then I encouraged them to look around for kind things to do that they didn't need parent help to accomplish. (But if their parents wanted to help they could.) We also talked about not shouting about the kind things they were doing. Don't tell the class, "I cleaned up this mess and it wasn't even mine!" We discussed the verse in Matthew Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

I did ask that they tell me when they do a random act of kindness. There is a calendar where we are writing down the good deeds (without names) and we will read them in January and be encouraged by the kindness of our anonymous friends.  Here is a glimpse. 




 It has been so precious to hear them tell me the small kindnesses they have done for strangers and for one another. It has ranged from a girl who cleaned up a mess that her dog made without being asked to a girl coming in to tell me that her classmate had shared with her. I loved that they even bragged on each other.  

In doing research for this lesson I came across so many inspiring blog posts about families focusing on the giving part of Christmas that I took this idea home and my kids and I also did some random acts of kindness for those around us. 

In the spirit of practicing what I preach I won't post about it. But it is so motivating to see what others are doing. If you need a little pick-me-up check out these celebrations. 

Life As of Late

Coffee Cups and Crayons

A Bowl Full of Simple

Teaching Maddeness

No comments:

Post a Comment