Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pockets full of Antonyms

Last week we read the Wonderful Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. Chrysanthemum goes to school one day in her jumper that has 7 pockets and she stuffs them full of special things.


This week we have been tackling synonyms and antonyms. So we made Pockets Full of Antonyms.




As we read we picked out interesting words. Because of Daily 5 we are on a HUGE "interesting words" kick right now. We find them every where and MUST WRITE THEM DOWN!

So we collected these great words while we read. Afterward the kids wrote their favorites on little rectangles of paper. (I didn't give them any specifications, but I did show them my example before hand and so they had an idea what I wanted.) For the shirt I gave them a tracer that I made in the shape of a t-shirt. They glued the bottom and sides of the pockets, leaving the top open.

One of my sweet co-workers had the idea for the Popsicle sticks. They wrote the antonyms for our interesting words on the Popsicle sticks and then stuck them in their pockets. I was impressed at how well they did. Some were pretty hard.

What's the antonym for dreadful? I had a hard time with that one, but this precious kiddo decided it was Perfect. And who can argue with that?


1 comment:

  1. This is a cool idea! I'm impressed that you're teaching antonyms :)

    ReplyDelete