Monday, March 16, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts

A book for book lovers! I can't resist books like this! Emily mentions so many of my favorite books in this story: The Westing Game, Inkheart, The Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library.  

In fact this book reminds me a little bit of The Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library. I will recommend this book to the kids who loved that one. It is also reminiscent of Andrew Clements’s Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School series. We loved those at our school.  

I was so excited to find out that this was a real game. I can't wait to introduce my students to it. http://bookscavenger.com/hide-find-books/ I'm trying to find a way to work this into my theme or curriculum for next year.


Genre:adventure
AR level: none yet
Grade appropriate: 3rd & up



RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5--fantastic! One of my new favorite books!

Creativity: 5/5--The game is a lot  like geocaching. In this game the cache is books.

I have never heard of anyone trying to live in all 50 states. I thought it was brilliant.… and sad. Emily would never have old friends. She would always have to make new ones.

Characters: 5/5-- love, love, love!

Engrossing: 5/5-- You guys, I finished this book on 24 hours! I am a mother of 3 young children & they were all home but I read. That's a truly engrossing book.  

Writing: 5/5

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- They're going to love it!!

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none

Sexuality: none

Violence: mild-- The founder of the book scavenger gets shot in the first chapter but (and here's the spoiler) he does not die. The children are threatened & chased by bad guys but are not hurt.

Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment