Monday, April 14, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts





I love this series. It's so cleverly written and each clue is so carefully plotted out. I also love the characters. They are realistic as kids with flaws and quirks and still very likeable. Andrew Clements gets kids this age and he understands teachers. Both students and teachers alike can relate to all of his books.

Genre: Mystery
AR level: no test yet
Grade appropriate: 3rd grade and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5

Creativity: 4/5-- There are several books out right now about kids who need to save their school but Clements was the first one I read. That made it creative in my view.

Characters: 5/5-- Love these kids! The villains are also very believable and wicked enough for you to hate them just as much as the kids.

Engrossing: 5/5-- I scoop these up as soon as the next in the series comes out. And I never feel lost no matter how long it's been since I read the last one.

Writing: 5/5

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- I always have a group of kids waiting for the next in the series to come out.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: none
Drugs/Alcohol: none
~~~
 13546433
I stumbled upon this book at our Scholastic book fair. It was not advertized, but just stuck on a shelf seemingly randomly. After reading the back, I fell in love! It's so precious. I wouldn't let myself read it until I had finished several that were sitting on my nightstand waiting to be finished.

It was worth the wait.


Genre:Fantasy
AR level: 5.3
Grade appropriate: 3rd grade and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- So sweet and fun. It did get a little depressing in about the 3rd chapter because her life is so bleak, but it was just enough to make you truly sympathetic with her plight.

Creativity: 5/5-- There are so many witch/wizard books out nowadays it's hard to come up with something new. I almost gave this book a 4 for that reason. But I haven't read a single one in which the witch or wizard doesn't want to do magic. And this girl is after my own heart. Baking soothes the soul.

Characters: 5/5-- Love, love, love

Engrossing: 5/5-- I read it in record time. I had students finishing it all around me saying, "Are you done yet Mrs. Senter?"

Writing: 5/5

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- It sold out at the book fair.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: none
Drugs/Alcohol:none

No comments:

Post a Comment