Monday, September 14, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts
21996359

Genre: Fantasy
AR level: 4.8
Grade appropriate: 3rd and up

RATING BREAKDOWN: 
Overall: 4/5-- I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. It is a very well done spin-off of fairy tales. And we all know that’s a big deal right now. I liked it so much better than Ever After High

I know, I know! Ever After High is super popular at our library and it’s written by a Newbery Honor winning author. I just found it tiresome, trying so hard to be clever and trendy (hexting for texting. I mean really.) This one’s got more sticking power and won’t be irrelevant so fast. 

Creativity: 4/5-- Eh… Another fairy tale spin-off, but a reform school run by Cinderella’s wicked stepmother. I count it as creative. 

Characters: 5/5-- You’ve got a thief who’s trying to feed her family. She ends up at reform school and discovers a massive evil plot and has to head up the resistance. It’s a cross between a fairy tale and an adventure novel. 

Engrossing: 3/5-- It wasn’t one I was always rushing back to read, but it did hold my interest. 

Writing: 5/5

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- Already checked out and on hold by our Ever After High crowd. 

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT: 
Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: none
Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment