Monday, June 1, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts

It's officially SUMMER TIME! I don't know if it will be easier to read during the summer than during the year considering that I have 3 BOYS THIS SUMMER! It's going to be an adjustment that's for sure! 

But I will be reading. And I'll keep you posted. 

23013685

Genre: Mystery/Fantasy
AR level: 5.4
Grade appropriate: 5th and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 4/5-- Very enjoyable! I’ve been reading this series since long before my librarian days.

Creativity: 5/5-- This series is about missing pieces of art and children who investigate and solve the crime. This book is based on an actual art theft that is still unsolved.

Characters: 5/5-- I loved that Balliett brought in characters from other books that are not in this series.

Engrossing: 5/5

Writing: 4/5-- While I love these books and have for years, they are not the easiest of reading. That is the main reason I think 5th and up are the best fit. The storytelling is beautiful but a little dense.

Appeal to kids: 3/5-- This is not light-middle grade reading. It will take a serious reader or mystery fan to tackle this series.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: none
Drugs/Alcohol: none

There is a ghost in this book. The children communicate with it through a ouija board.

No comments:

Post a Comment