Monday, December 8, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts

This book is on our Mock Newbery list.
18668056

I was intimidated after hearing another teacher from our school talk about this book. She said it was a book for thinkers and compared it to A Wrinkle in Time (which I have read twice and still don’t like!) But I did pick this book up eventually and... I really enjoyed it! I will say I enjoyed the first half better than the rest. Once they ended up in the south and the torture began and the really far out there fantasy kicked in, I was less into it. Overall, very enjoyable and I’m glad I read it.

Genre: Fantasy
AR level: 6.0
Grade appropriate: 5th and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 4/5

Creativity: 5/5-- Very unusual! Maps of memories. I cannot even imagine how you would come up with this!

Characters: 5/5-- I loved Sophia and Theo. Shadrack was almost too good to be true but I loved him!

Engrossing: 4/5-- It was totally engrossing in the beginning. Like I mentioned earlier, the end got really into really deep fantasy and it wasn’t quite as engaging for me as the beginning was.

Writing: 5/5-- One of my biggest pet peeves about Fantasy is when the author takes a ton of time to explain the world they’ve built. It drives me crazy. While the world in this book was very different from our own I never felt bogged down in explanation. It was handled very naturally!

Appeal to kids: 3/5-- I’m afraid this will only be engaging for our big readers. If a kid has not read fantasy or if they are not an expert reader already they will lose interest.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 4/5-- It did get long...

CONTENT:
Language: none

Sexuality: none

Violence: medium-- The villain is very evil at points in this book. She tortures people with a mask that cuts their faces when they struggle and steals memories by practically drowning people in sand.

Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment