Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? visit Mentor Texts





17934520

I received a ARC (Advanced Released Copy) of this ebook to review through Netgalley. It will be out on January 14th.

AR level: 4.2
Grade appropriate: Middle school and up

I really did love this book. It was a lot of fun. But it is not really appropriate for my elementary kiddos. I think most middle school kids could handle the minimal objectionable content in this book and high school kids should have no problems.

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- Loved this book. It's fast paced and action packed.

Creativity: 4/5-- Teen spies seem to be a theme recently, but this one is one of the better ones.

Characters: 5/5-- I loved each of the characters in this book. I'd be friends with them if they were real.

Engrossing: 5/5-- It was one that I wanted to read all the time, but life does get in the way. I guess the fact that it took me a couple of weeks to finish is an indicator that it wasn't as engrossing as I thought it was.

Writing: 5/5-- Just good. The writing didn't get in the way of telling the story.

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- Kids are going to love it! I don't feel like it's quite appropriate for elementary (see comments below) but middle school and high school kids will be absolutely into it.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:
Language: none

Sexuality:  mild, there is some serious kissing and Maggie and her boyfriend sleep in the same bed while they are on the run.

Violence: mild
She is chased & her enemies shoot at her family & set her house on fire.

Drugs/Alcohol: mild, some of Maggie's friends drink Champagne

 
I loved The False Prince (the first in the Ascendance Trilogy) and have recommended it heavily. One of the draw-backs to this job is that I don't often get to read an entire series. I have to really want to and make the time. Otherwise I read one in the series so that I can speak intelligently about the book/author/series and then need to move on to other series. This is one I've been wanting to read since I finished The False Prince and finally made the time for. (I also found it on audio, so that helps.) 

I didn't want to like this book as much as I liked The False Prince. But truly it was wonderful. I listened to the audio version and finished it in 2 days. Couldn't turn it off.

AR level: 5.0
Grade appropriate: 4th grade and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- Loved it, despite my misgivings that it wouldn't be as good as the first in the series.

Creativity: 5/5-- There aren't many books in my library that are similar.

Characters: 5/5--I love Sage. I can't help it. He makes dumb choices but for all the right reasons. I love that Imogen got to play such a heroic role. I really like her and came to like Amarinda in the end too.

Engrossing: 5/5-- Finished in 2 days!

Writing: 5/5-- I never thought that it was over done or that the writing lacked in any way. It got the story across without being distracting.

Appeal to kids: 5/5-- Our middle grade boys and girls will love this book.

Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5 This book is a longer one and the appearance may intimidate some of our more reluctant readers, but it's good enough that it's a quick read.
 
CONTENT:
Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: mild, there is some sword/knife fighting. He does join pirates after all. No one gets killed and the fighting is not extreme.
Drugs/Alcohol: none

No comments:

Post a Comment