Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Newbery Challenge- 2010 When You Reach Me

Ok, so I'm already breaking my rule. My one rule in this challenge! I am not reading the books in order...

I want to review quickly the ones I've read this year before I forget them. (Not that I won't EVER read them again, but there are so many and I want to get to them all.)

I read When You Reach Me by the lovely Rebecca Stead at the beginning of the school year.





I had the privilege of hearing Rebecca speak along with Clare Vanderpool and Jack Gantos at the 100th annual Texas Library Association Conference last month. I had already read When You Reach Me but I hadn't read Clare or Jack's books.

All three authors were amazing! I felt like I was a little girl at Disneyland meeting my favorite celebrities. I totally got pictures with them (because I'm a big dork!) I'm telling you STAR STRUCK!




Rebecca was beautiful and charming. She is so self-deprecating and shy that it absolutely endears herself to her audience immediately. Ok, enough gushing!

When You Reach Me was fabulous! It was interesting and funny. There was suspense and adventure. I loved the names of the chapters. They were named like categories on a game show. And when I got to the twist in the story it took me by surprise so fully! I feel like I need to read it again to fully grasp what was going on. I loved it so much that I immediately read Liar and Spy, Rebecca's newest book.


No comments:

Post a Comment