Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It was Monday, but I didn't read much...

 

I am going to confess, I did not read much last week. I spent the week at Royal Family Kids Camp with my husband and many other wonderful people who gave up a week, some of them taking a week of vacation from their jobs, to love on abused and neglected kids.



I want to take this moment to highlight what great work Our Father's Children is doing through Royal Family (a week-long camp for 6-11 year olds) as well as Onward and Upward (a retreat for 12-15 year olds) and The Summit (for 16-18 year olds.)

We spent the week ministering to children who have experienced abuse and/or neglect in some way. Most of the kids get hooked up with Our Fathers Children (OFC) through the foster care system. The ratio at Royal Family is one counselor to two campers. It's amazing how well you can get to know these kids when you only have two.

I can speak most to the experience that the girls at Royal Family have. I have been a counselor for 6 years and every year I realize there is no place in the world I'd rather be. These girls come to camp so hungry for love. By the end of the week they have been called princesses, served real tea in real china, been validated by being successful all week long and been built up when they don't get it right the first time.

Royal Family is a wonderful experience for these kids, but it has changed MY life forever.

Thank you to Darren and Melinda Edwards for the amazing work that they do.

I promise to read more this coming week, but I'm not apologizing for last week!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment